Sunday 31 March 2013

Bible

I have finished illustrating the Bible!!!! That was a monumental work!!! 97 full colour spreads! That is 194 pages!!!! I can't believe I did it! The book was illustrated for Lion Hudson Publishing and I expect it to be out by the end of the year.

Half a year ago, when I started this project, I was scared. Scared that I will never do it on time, that I will run out of steam drawing similar 97 spreads, That I will not be able to introduce enough diversity into pictures, that I will simply not do the book justice, since it is only the greatest book in the world...

I am not religious, but I still appreciate the importance and significance of this book. Especially - the first Bible for children. The book that gets the kids acquainted with religion.  It is Sunday, 31st March today. Easter. A perfect day to write about Bible.

I wanted my illustrations for this book to be WARM! I wanted them to be kind and simple and easily understandable by kids of all ages and nationalities. I didn't want my drawings to be pompous or pretentious. On the contrary, I wanted them to be very homy and humble, and down to earth.... Very close the children's hearts.

Of course, I will not show you all 97 spreads, but I will show you a few random ones from the whole book to give you an idea of what I was trying to achieve. Please let me know what you think! Any feedback will be very much appreciated!










It took me half a year to do this project and I enjoyed every day working on it. I didn't have to be scared after all! It was fun!!! It flew easily and I didn't even notice when all the spreads were completed...  I am even missing it a little now...  The Publisher was superb giving me a complete freedom with the stile, colours and composition. There were very few amendments and lots of support!

I was able to draw my favourite big noses and choose warm, pastel but bright colour pallet that I think suits the book very much!









11 comments:

  1. Класс! Мне очень понравились иллюстрации!!!! Какие все прикольные и милые!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Elina, I am a Christian and I can tell you that your drawing have stayed true to the essence of the bible. I'm not an artist, but just looking at your drawings without reading the words, I can tell right away what story you are illustrating and I think that is an indication of how accurate and successful you have come across in telling the story, which is a indication of successful story telling though your pictures alone. I can see myself reading to my children the bible and your illustrations can help them visualise the story better. I'm in the midst of moving house and once I am done moving, the book on the Littlest Bird and this bible will find a place to nestle on my bookshelves.
    Good Job Elina, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Αn intriguing diѕсuѕsiоn is wοrth comment.
    Theге's no doubt that that you ought to publish more on this subject, it might not be a taboo matter but generally folks don't tаlk abоut such ѕubjeсts.
    To the next! Kind геgaгds!!

    my web page fast ejaculation control

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to tο thank yοu for this greаt rеad!
    ! I definitely еnjoyed every bit of it. ӏ
    have you book markeԁ to checκ out new
    stuff you pοst…

    Heге is mу blog post Video Chat

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really make it seem гeally easy with your
    presеntation but I to find this topic to be
    actually ѕomеthing thаt I feel I
    might bу no meanѕ understаnd.
    It soгt of feels too complicated аnԁ
    extremely vaѕt foг mе. I am looking ahеaԁ on уour
    subsequеnt ρut up, I'll attempt to get the cling of it!

    Also visit my weblog; Shbab.Twhed.Com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant, what a mammoth task, I have had just these same feelings, but your task was so vast!! You have done such a fantastic job, if it helps explain what are sometimes complex stories and issues to children, which I'm sure it will, then you deserve the biggest pat on the back, Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very wondeful yours ilustrations

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elina,

    Your style really shines with the subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elina, i love your illustration.
    Can i used this bible illustration.
    How can i get that?
    please reply me blackpurple_orchid5@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete